Ministry’s Review of ECE Regulations, Licensing Criteria and Funding Rules
As you know, the Ministry has this project underway. We have been assured that the sector will have the opportunity to not only be consulted on proposed changes, but to offer up our own ideas on changes that would improve ECE.
The ECC started collecting your issues through a survey focussed on the Regulations. Here’s what you had to say:
- Align the regulations and Te Whariki
- Strong support for the Managed Network initiative in the Early Learning Action Plan, but caution over how it is designed and implemented
- Greater clarity over license management from the Ministry
- Remove the single Person Responsible and apply it to all qualified teachers in a team
- Increase the ratio bands (under-twos, two-year-olds, three/four/fives) with ratios 1:3, 1:5 or 1:7, and 1:8 or 1:10 respectively
- Staffing requirements for any license type set at attendance levels while maintaining ratios is critical.
Our next survey is available to you now and is focused on the Curriculum Licensing Criteria. This is your chance to have a say on the shape and content of the Licensing Criteria and the way Te Whariki works in our sector.
Chief Executive Officer
Early Childhood Council
The leading body for childcare centre owners, committees and management, supporting and encouraging the provision of quality early childhood education and care services in New Zealand.