Reducing Food Waste in Your Centre: Worm Farms and Composting (Online Workshop)
Food waste is a big problem in Aotearoa New Zealand. However, we can work towards reducing the amount of food waste that we produce through worm farms and composting. This webinar will discuss the benefits of having a worm farm and composting systems in early childhood centres for reducing food waste and building sustainability practices.
Participants will learn:
- How to set up and manage a worm farm
- Different composting systems and how they work
- The link between worm farms and composting to improve the health of the soil so it produces healthy kai
- Practical ideas for including tamariki in minimising food waste
Facilitator: Anita Croft
About Anita Croft
Kia ora, my name is Anita Croft, and I am the owner and educator of Growing Kiwi Gardeners. I am a qualified early childhood teacher and hold a Master of Education degree where I studied pre-service early childhood teachers' preparedness to teach education for sustainability.
Based in Christchurch, Growing Kiwi Gardeners runs a hands-on gardening programme for tamariki in early childhood services, and consultation on gardening and sustainable practices. I also offer a fully supported 12-month online gardening programme designed for kaiako and/or services starting out in their gardening curriculum that is available to early childhood services across Aotearoa.
To further support kaiako and services to be successful in their gardening and sustainability practices, I offer specialised professional learning and development that is available through webinars, workshops, and whole-centre professional learning tailored to your centre needs.
- Online teacher workshops are not recorded, but presentation slides will be made available to registrants.
- Each workshop costs: $65+GST (ECC members), $95+GST (non members)
- Any cancellations made more than 24 hours in advance of the workshop will incur a 10% administration fee. Any cancellations made within 24 hours of the workshop will not be eligible for a refund.
- We will endeavour to provide as much advance notice of a change as is possible, but we cannot accept responsibility for staff time or backfilling positions