ECC-Rubiix Lunch n Learn Webinar: Ombudsman Session
How ECE services can seek help from the Ombudsman if government agencies act unreasonably, and why you must make a complaint
Exclusive FREE Webinar for our Members!
Simon Laube, ECC CEO, will take members through how the Ombudsman can provide help to centres with issues like:
- Complaints, investigations and resolutions in relation to government agencies. This will be the focus area of the presentation.
- Under this function, the Ombudsman is an independent authority constituted outside of the Executive which means it’s not accountable to a Government Minister. They have legal powers that can be used to review, for example, a Ministry of Education decision or omission (by an official) that you think lacks a reasonable basis. You are entitled to fair treatment from government (but to access this you need to make a complaint)
- As above we will then consider other agencies that are also in-scope – like the Education Review Office, Ministry of Health, and Local Government (e.g. building/resource consents)
And other functions it pays to also know about
- Official information requests (the OIA) – if you are not happy with a response you can complain to the Ombudsman and they may investigate. To be covered briefly.
- Whistle-blowing/protected disclosures about serious wrongdoing – this applies to government but also private workplaces [note from Simon: new legislation came into effect on 1 July 2022, replacing an older Act from 2000]. A protected disclosure gives the whistle-blower immunity from civil and criminal disciplinary proceedings and has a high degree of confidentiality to protect them from being identified. To be covered briefly.
- Making sure that disabled people are treated fairly (in accordance with the UN convention that NZ ratified in 2008). To be covered briefly.
- Webinars are only 30 minutes long
- FREE for ECC members only
- Webinars are recorded
- All registrations receive a copy of the recording and presentation
- Your computer must have a reliable internet connection.
- We recommend good quality external speakers