Our Ongoing Journey of Supporting Children who have Experienced Trauma (Online Workshop)
Understanding and knowing how to respond to children who have experienced trauma is an ongoing journey for our teaching teams. This workshop will explore the trauma informed approach and unpack some of the challenges and barriers we have overcome to ensure all our teams are on the same page with this pedagogical approach.
Melody will also share the positive partnership we have formed with our local MOE and the effectiveness of the ‘Brainstorming Approach’. We will have the opportunity to explore different scenarios and how you might apply the trauma informed approach in your setting. Finally, we will discuss the importance of looking after your own wellbeing and having staff care plans in place to support your kaiako in this complex work.
- Understand the complexities of the trauma informed approach and consider the challenges and potential barriers
- To explore how the ‘brainstorming approach’ can improve outcomes for children with challenging behaviours
- To discuss scenarios in order to put theory into practice
Facilitator: Melody Stuckey
About Melody Stuckey
My Educational Leadership comes from a diverse perspective due to the privilege of working at Governance, Management and at Tertiary level.
I also come with international experience and was a Head of School for Dulwich College International for 10 years.
After returning to New Zealand 6 years ago, I moved into the role of National Coordinator for CECEAA (An Early Years Association). This position included organising and facilitating PLD across our member centres and was largely a support and guidance role. It also included representing the organisation on ECAC.
Currently I am the General Manager and Educational Leader for 3 private Early Childhood Centres in the Hawkes Bay. I am also currently the ECE Service Leader’s Representative for the Teaching Council.
- Online teacher workshops are not recorded, but presentation slides will be made available to registrants.
- Each workshop costs: $65+GST (ECC members), $95+GST (non members)
- Any cancellations made more than 24 hours in advance of the workshop will incur a 10% administration fee. Any cancellations made within 24 hours of the workshop will not be eligible for a refund.
- We will endeavour to provide as much advance notice of a change as is possible, but we cannot accept responsibility for staff time or backfilling positions