Pay parity and your centre

Pay parity means the same pay for doing the same job.

Right now, there’s a huge difference between what kindergarten teachers and teachers working in ECE centres get paid.

Here’s why we don’t think that’s fair.

Kindergarten teachers get paid more for the same job

The kindergarten collective agreement requires kindergarten teachers’ pay to be matched to primary school teachers.

This includes an average 18.5% pay increase over three years won in recent negotiations, which increases the pay parity gap even further.

What we’re asking for:

  •  We’re asking for a 10% increase in ECE subsidies in 2020 to step us toward pay parity and to compensate a little for years of cuts
  •  We guarantee that 70% of subsidy increases will go directly to teachers; the other 30% goes to centres, to star off setting years of operational cuts

The government has money to spend. We’re asking them to invest in ECE teachers.

ECE teachers getting more money is great, but it must be fair and across the board

Historically, the Ministry would keep things fair by increasing subsidies for ECE centres whenever they increased kindergarten teacher rates. This stopped in 2011.

Asking for a fair go through years of under-investment

The ECC has tried to get the top-up reinstated with successive governments. Disappointingly, Education Ministers Hekia Parata and Chris Hipkins have wondered aloud if increased subsidies would go into centre owners’ pockets, not teacher pay packets.

ECE centres want to pay their teachers what they deserve

Centre owners pocketing increased subsidies is impossible in practice. ECE centres must show every quarter that they’re paying teachers at least the minimum rate, backed up by audits and spot checks. If there’s an issue, the Ministry will claw the money back.

Now’s the time to speak up 

We need your voice. A united ECE sector asking the same questions of government is powerful and hard for the government to ignore.

Join our call for 10% in 2020