ECC History

The Early Childhood Council (ECC) is an incorporated society formed in 1990 from the amalgamation of two earlier bodies, the Licensed Childcare Centres Federation and the Associated Childcare Council. The ECC was officially incorporated in 1991.

The primary purpose of the ECC is to represent the interests of independent early childhood centres and to promote the provision of quality early childhood education services.

Membership is voluntary and is available to all licensed independent early childhood centres managed by community-owned, privately-owned or voluntary groups. The ECC is fully funded by membership subscriptions. Around 1,100 licensed education and care centres are financial members of the ECC, making our organisation the largest early childhood employer's organisation in New Zealand. Our members employ over 7,000 staff and provide early childhood education for over 50,000 of this country’s under 6 population.

ECC membership is diverse with centres as small as 10 licensed places through to a number of over 100 place centres. 70% of members are privately-owned centres, the remaining 30% are community-owned.

The ECC is governed by its constitution which provides for an Executive Committee to be elected annually by the members. The Executive Committee includes the officer positions of President, Vice President, Treasurer, Secretary and five Executive Members.

The Council provides advice, information and support to its members through:

  • a comprehensive website with over 100 free tools and templates, including policy templates, HR templates and much, much more.
  • regular weekly e-News
  • surveys
  • advice-line, including free employment advice line
  • Swings & Roundabouts
  • professional development workshop series for centre managers and for teachers
  • annual conference

The ECC also represents member's views in various forums and with government agencies including the Minister of Education, Ministry of Education, ERO, Teachers Council, etc.

The Council employs a full-time Chief Executive Officer, and part-time Administration Officer and Marketing and Communications Officer; and two part-time contract positions for Policy and Media Communications.